[ovirt-users] updated qemu-kvm for EL7

Paul Jansen vlaero at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 13 03:48:48 UTC 2015

Hello.I'm just following up on an mailing list exchange from earlier in the month that was asking about the possibility of an updated libvirt for EL7.Sandro mentioned that this was being talked about but that the vdsm team had worked around the issue and could do what they needed with the existing supplied libvirt on EL7.I've used a different subject this time to keep the topic more obvious to where the discussion has evolved to.

Sandro mentioned that the qemu-kvm-ev that is being built - and available on the cbs.centos.org - would be used in master and also 3.5.x to fix a bug present in the currently used qemu-kvm under certain circumstances.  A question was asked about live-merge functionality on EL7, and apparently this was being investigated.My initial thought is that if we are already going to a newer version of qemu-kvm than the distro supplied version, then why wouldn't ovirt want to try and be fairly current with the version they use/consume?  Why not provide live snapshot merging on this platform?  Why push users over to Fedora?  Many potential users won't want to use Fedora on their hosts for a number of reasons.We currently provide qemu-kvm-ev-2.1.2-23.el7.1 on cbs.centos.org.  Qemu 2.3 was released earlier this month.
Are there any plans to bump the qemu-kvm version we currently consume?  It would be interesting to hear the rationale around what version we use/should be using.
Thanks,Paul