[ovirt-users] Adding FCP - Request for comments

Daniel Helgenberger daniel.helgenberger at m-box.de
Wed May 20 20:36:48 UTC 2015

On 20.05.2015 20:10, Fábio Coelho wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thank you for your comments!
>
> Let me clarify some points:
>
> About LUN:
>
>> IMHO you need to initialize the lun with a partition table at least
>> (parted). dd will do also.
> So, the lun, which I was provided with, it was too much blank?
Hehe - I only found writing to them once helps in general. Call it
superstitous - its the first thing I do with a new lun in case there are
some 'leftovers'. But indeed it should work without it.

> About multipathd:
>> I think this is not ovirts part but rather dm-multipath. My best guess
>> would be a configuration error on your part?
>
> I'm really sorry, I failed to point that my nodes are ovirt-node-iso installations, not generic SO installations with ovirt added to them.
Sorry, I did not use node very much (it lacked some drivers I needed)
and - because of things like this where I need a persistant change
(multipath.conf).

> I was able to manually configure the nodes - the question is: this is the expected behavior (manual configuration)?
I'll add Fabian for this question; persistant changes to nodes from
node.iso are his area of expertise.

> Some of my nodes I just restarted and then they were able to see the LUN correctly without any manual configuration. As oVirt provide an iso for node installation, maybe it is important to point such behavior in the oVirt documentation.
As I said - multipathd should be running by default. If this is the
case, pathes to the same LUN are detected at statup and mapped
correctly; no intervention necessary.
In the end you might need some special settings depending on your
storage, though.

--
Daniel Helgenberger
m box bewegtbild GmbH

P: +49/30/2408781-22
F: +49/30/2408781-10

ACKERSTR. 19
D-10115 BERLIN

www.m-box.de  www.monkeymen.tv

Geschäftsführer: Martin Retschitzegger / Michaela Göllner
Handeslregister: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg / HRB 112767