[ovirt-users] oVirt Instability with Dell Compellent via iSCSI/Multipath

Jorick Astrego j.astrego at netbulae.eu
Thu May 21 09:19:08 UTC 2015

On 05/21/2015 02:47 AM, Chris Jones - BookIt.com Systems Administrator
wrote:
>> Another issue may be that the setting for COMPELNT/Compellent Vol are
>> wrong;
>> the setting we ship is missing lot of settings that exists in the
>> builtin
>> setting, and this may have bad effect. If your devices match this , I
>> would
>> try this multipath configuration, instead of the one vdsm configures.
>>
>>     device {
>>         vendor "COMPELNT"
>>         product "Compellent Vol"
>>         path_grouping_policy "multibus"
>>         path_checker "tur"
>>         features "0"
>>         hardware_handler "0"
>>         prio "const"
>>         failback "immediate"
>>         rr_weight "uniform"
>>         no_path_retry fail
>>     }
>
> I wish I could. We're using the CentOS 7 ovirt-node-iso. The
> multipath.conf is less than ideal but when I tried updating it, oVirt
> instantly overwrites it. To be clear, yes I know changes do not
> survive reboots and yes I know about persist, but it changes it while
> running. Live! Persist won't help there.
>
> I also tried building a CentOS 7 "thick client" where I set up CentOS
> 7 first, added the oVirt repo, then let the engine provision it. Same
> problem with multipath.conf being overwritten with the default oVirt
> setup.
>
> So I tried to be slick about it. I made the multipath.conf immutable.
> That prevented the engine from being able to activate the node. It
> would fail on a vds command that gets the nodes capabilities and part
> of what it does is reads then overwrites multipath.conf.
>
> How do I safely update multipath.conf?

Somehow the multipath.conf that oVirt generates forces my HDD RAID
controller disks to change from /dev/sdb* and /dev/sdc*. So I had to
blacklist these.

I was able to persist it by adding "# RHEV PRIVATE" right below the "#
RHEV REVISION 1.1"

Hope this helps

Met vriendelijke groet, With kind regards,

Jorick Astrego

Netbulae Virtualization Experts

	Tel: 053 20 30 270 	info at netbulae.eu 	Staalsteden 4-3A 	KvK 08198180
 	Fax: 053 20 30 271 	www.netbulae.eu 	7547 TA Enschede 	BTW NL821234584B01