[ovirt-users] engine tries to allocate 11GB and aborts (was: hosted engine does not start correctly (CentOS 7.1, overt-engine 3.5.2))

H. Haven Liu haven.liu at ucla.edu
Tue May 26 19:26:07 UTC 2015

Didi,

Both source and destination machines (assuming you are referring to the
physical host source and virtual host destination of the migration) are
running ovirt-engine 3.5.2.1-1. However, the "source" is on CentOS 6.6,
whereas the "destination" is on CentOS 7.1. The source is running
postgresql(/-server) 8.4.20, Java 1.7.0_79, httpd 2.2.15. Destination is
running postgresql(/-server) 9.2.10, Java 1.7.0.79, jboss-httpd 2.4.6. I'm
not sure which over package version is relevant.

The failure occurs after engine-setup, and the web UI doesn't load, and the
host reports the engine is not up (I'm not in front of the host, so I don't
have the exact language).

Our current setup has 2 physical hosts, ~15 active VMs. Each host has 64GB
RAM. Even with all the VM on one host, the utilization is less than 50%. We
have another physical storage server, that provides the NFS storage backend
to the hosts and VMs. Prior to attempting the hosted-engine migration, I
migrated all the VMs to host #1, where the engine was originally installed.
I then removed host #2 from the host list via the UI, and performed
hosted-engine --deploy on host #2. A few other quirks I encountered:

1. I originally wanted to do "hosted-engine --deploy" on host #1, but that
it was unsuccessful due to it complaining the storage connection was busy
(or something).
2. I then tried to do "hosted-engine --deploy" on host #2, using the same
storage connection path as what I used for host #1 originally. The setup
process asked if it was an "additional host", I said no, but later it
cannot activate the storage connection.
3. Lastly I did "hosted-engine --deploy" on host #2, but pointing to a
different storage connection path, still on the same storage server. This
was successful until the I encountered the failure in question.

Thanks,

Haven