[ovirt-users] oVirt 4.0 wishlist: oVirt Engine

Giuseppe Ragusa giuseppe.ragusa at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 20 07:54:20 EST 2015

Hi all,
I go on with my wishlist, derived from both solitary mumblings and community talks at the the first Italian oVirt Meetup.

I offer to help in coding (work/family schedules permitting) but keep in mind that I'm a sysadmin with mainly C and bash-scripting skills (but hoping to improve my less-than-newbie Python too...)

I've sent separate wishlist messages for oVirt Node and VDSM.

oVirt Engine:

*) add Samba/CTDB/Ganesha capabilities (maybe in the GlusterFS management UI); there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing Samba/CTDB/Ganesha on oVirt Node and on VDSM

*) add the ability to manage containers (maybe initially as an exclusive cluster type but allowing it to coexist with GlusterFS); there are related wishlist items on supporting containers on the oVirt Node and on VDSM

*) add Open vSwitch direct support (not Neutron-mediated); there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing Open vSwitch on oVirt Node and on VDSM

*) add DRBD9 as a supported Storage Domain type, HC/HE too, managed from the Engine UI similarly to GlusterFS; there are related wishlist items on configuring/managing DRBD9 on oVirt Node and on VDSM

*) add support for managing/limiting GlusterFS heal/rebalance bandwidth usage in HC setup [1]; this is actually a GlusterFS wishlist item first and foremost, but I hope our use case could be considered compelling enough to "force their hand" a bit ;)

Regards,
Giuseppe

[1] bandwidth limiting seems to be supported only for geo-replication on GlusterFS side; it is my understanding that on non-HC setups the heal/rebalance traffic could be kept separate from hypervisor/client traffic (if a separate, Gluster-only, network is physically available and Gluster cluster nodes have been peer-probed on those network addresses)