[ovirt-users] poor graphic performances with spice

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Mon Nov 2 10:13:00 UTC 2015

Hello Jiri and David,

Le 02/11/2015 10:22, David Jaša a écrit :
> Hi Nathanaël,
>
> On St, 2015-10-28 at 17:06 +0100, Nathanaël Blanchet wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm studying a possibility to use ovirt as a vdi solution with centos or
>> fedora guests. But using spice is awfull
> in what sense, just a performance you mention below, or something else?
I'm used to use spice with virt-manager, and I always have been pleased
with it.

>> and graphics are very slow (in
>> particulary videos). Qxl drivers are installed and spice-vdagent works
>> as expected on the guest side.
> What hosts and clients do you use, what is your network environment?
ubuntu spice-client-gtk (0.22) for the client side, and my hosts (latest
intel CPU and 128 GB of RAM) are centos 7.1 one connected to a FC
storage domain. The network is a gigabit one. I set my vms with 2GB of RAM.
> When you say centos guests, you mean centos 6 or centos 7?
both. I also tested fedora 22 but I supposed that default gnome 3 shell
effects could be the reason of the slowness.

> David
>
>> However, it is amazing to see that glxgears benchmarks are good...
>> I wonder how it is possible to adopt such a vdi solution when the user
>> experience is so bad.
>> I may miss something and may need recommandations of experimented vdi
>> users :)
>> Thank you for your help.

Ovirt is an awesome product, and I've been used to be pleased with its
great integrated quality tools, that's why I'm supposed to mistake in my
configuration.
I don't know the vdi part, but problematic is not the same compared to
the server virtualization. User should have a very good interface
experience, integrating fluidity and multimedia capabilities.
Sound redirection is okay with no latence, USB redirection works great,
but watching a youtube video is painful.
The same when moving a simple gui window, there is a big latence.
In comparison, direct RDP session on windows servers gives entire
satisfaction in graphic rendering.
Please tell me if I do or say something wrong.
Thank you for your job.

--
Nathanaël Blanchet

Supervision réseau