[ovirt-users] Engine setup: insistent DNS demand

Jamie Lawrence jlawrence at squaretrade.com
Sat Nov 7 01:00:25 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I’m having trouble finding current references to this problem. (I’m
seeing workarounds from 2013, but, not surprisingly, things have changed
since then.)

I’m attempting to run engine-setup, and get to the DNS reverse lookup
of the FQDN. The machine has two (bonded) interfaces, one for storage
and one for everything else. The “everything else” network has DNS
service, the storage network doesn’t, and this seems to make
engine-setup cranky. /etc/hosts is properly set up for the storage
network, but that apparently doesn’t count. I tried running with the
-offline flag, but that apparently still expects DNS.

We do not want/need DNS on the storage network, and I’m hoping someone
knows a workaround for this not involving DNSMasq.

I considered downing that interface for the setup, but I don’t know
why engine-setup is so insistent about DNS, and hiding an interface
seems like a potentially bad idea in any case, so I thought I’d ask
about it first.

Details:
ovirt-engine.noarch 0:3.6.0.3-1.el7.centos
ovirt-engine-setup-plugin-allinone.noarch 0:3.6.0.3-1.el7.centos

CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)

TIA, and happy weekend to all,

-j