[ovirt-users] vdsm without sanlock

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sat Nov 7 07:10:45 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Devin A. Bougie
<devin.bougie at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hi Nir,
>
> On Nov 6, 2015, at 5:02 AM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 11:33 PM, Devin A. Bougie <devin.bougie at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi, All.  Is it possible to run vdsm without sanlock?  We'd prefer to run libvirtd with virtlockd (lock_manager = "lockd") to avoid the sanlock overhead, but it looks like vdsmd / ovirt requires sanlock.
>>
>> True, we require sanlock.
>> What is "sanlock overhead"?
>
> Mainly the dependence on a shared or remote filesystem (nfs, gfs2, etc.).

There is no such dependency.

Sanlock is using either an lv on block device (iscsi, fcp) or a file
(on nfs, gluster) to
maintain leases.

If sanlock cannot access storage and maintain the lease, it is likely
that your vm
also cannot access storage and will pause soon.

Anything else?

Nir