[ovirt-users] Wishlist - Mix gluster and local storage in same data center

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sat Nov 7 20:02:07 UTC 2015

Once upon a time, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> said:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Liam Curtis <lcurtis at datto.com> wrote:
> >
> > Any chance this will change? It is a severe limitation to not be able to use local storage available to a host as that is often very fast storage.
>
> This will couple the vm to this host, so you cannot run it to another
> host. If this host
> is down, you cannot run the vm on any other host, since your storage is gone.
>
> Don't you think this is a severe limitation as well?

There are many things that tie a VM to a host, like USB device
passthrough, but that's not reason to remove all such support from
oVirt, is it?

In my case, I'd like to mix iSCSI and local storage, because I have a
couple of systems that need higher disk I/O that I'd like to put on my
shared storage.  The two systems are redundant to each other, so that is
taken care of at a different layer.

The two systems don't however consume all the resources of the host
machines (lots of CPU and RAM available).  I'd like to make them nodes
in my oVirt cluster, so those resources can be used for other VMs (that
are on shared storage for that level of HA), but I can't do that (at
least as far as I know, with oVirt 3.5).  I thought that had been
mentioned as a feature for 3.6, but I don't see it anywhere in the
features or release notes, so I assume that functionality is still not
available.

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>