[ovirt-users] Wishlist - Mix gluster and local storage in same data center

Ivan Bulatovic combuster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 09:44:30 UTC 2015

On Saturday, November 07, 2015 02:02:07 PM Chris Adams wrote:
> I thought that had been
> mentioned as a feature for 3.6, but I don't see it anywhere in the
> features or release notes, so I assume that functionality is still not
> available.

I've tried mixing local and shared storage (POSIX compliant FS storage
domain that is pointing to a local ext4 partition and FC/iSCSI storage
domains) on a shared datacenter type. It allows me to do that (after
some juggling) but on 3.5 and 3.6 both, it kicks all the hosts out of
the cluster that can't reach that local partition (except the host that
contains that partition).

This is expected behaviour, on a shared datacenter type, every defined
storage domain must be available to every host in the cluster. At one
point in time, during testing of 3.6-rc's, I had a situation that host
that can't reach the local partition wasn't evicted from the cluster,
and VM that was on that partition was happily running. I've most
probably hit a bug, and that happened on my first attempt to mess with
the POSIX compliant storage domain, so I thought at first that it was a
feature for the 3.6 :)

After reading comments from Nir and Aharon, and after digging through
the docs, mixing local and shared storage domains in the shared
datacenter is not possible, at least not until SPM concept is removed
from oVirt.

In any case, it's always an option to present local storage as NFS, or
to just utilize local storage in a better way (as shared and redundant,
not always more efficient regarding available storage space) through
gluster if you can satisfy replica 3 requirement.

Kind regards,

Ivan