[ovirt-users] Wishlist - Mix gluster and local storage in same data center

Alex Crow acrow at integrafin.co.uk
Sun Nov 8 16:48:48 UTC 2015

There are many things that tie a VM to a host, like USB device
passthrough, but that's not reason to remove all such support from
oVirt, is it? In my case, I'd like to mix iSCSI and local storage,
because I have a couple of systems that need higher disk I/O that I'd
like to put on my shared storage. The two systems are redundant to each
other, so that is taken care of at a different layer. The two systems
don't however consume all the resources of the host machines (lots of
CPU and RAM available). I'd like to make them nodes in my oVirt cluster,
so those resources can be used for other VMs (that are on shared storage
for that level of HA), but I can't do that (at least as far as I know,
with oVirt 3.5). I thought that had been mentioned as a feature for 3.6,
but I don't see it anywhere in the features or release notes, so I
assume that functionality is still not available.

One thing that would render this whole issue moot is being able to use
local fast storage on the hypervisor hosts, ie SSD or 3D-Xpoint drives
in LVM-Cache to accelerate IOPS on shared storage.

The underlying stuff is already there, and it works. I've been using LVM
cache for while in Centos 7.

Geting this to work in oVirt would be a killer feature.

Alex
--
This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain
confidential information. Unless you are that person, you may not

"Transact" is operated by Integrated Financial Arrangements Ltd.
29 Clement's Lane, London EC4N 7AE. Tel: (020) 7608 4900 Fax: (020) 7608 5300.
(Registered office: as above; Registered in England and Wales under
number: 3727592). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority (entered on the Financial Services Register; no. 190856).