[ovirt-users] Upgrade path from Fedora 20 oVirt 3.5 to Fedora 22 oVirt 3.6

Sandro Bonazzola sbonazzo at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 07:10:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM, David Marzal Canovas <dmc at asambleamurcia.es
> wrote:

> Hi would like to be sure of the correct upgrate path to take.
>
> Should I first upgrade Fedora 20 -> Fedora 21 -> Fedora 22
>
> and then upgrade oVirt from 3.5 to 3.6?
>
> Or would be better to upgrade in the Fedora 20: oVirt 3.5 -> oVirt 3.6
>
> and then make the OS upgrades FD20->FD21->FD22
>
> In the release notes
> http://www.ovirt.org/OVirt_3.6_Release_Notes#Install_.2F_Upgrade_from_previous_versions
>
> don't says anything about the upgrade path of the OS, but searching I'm
> aware that
>
> oVirt 3.5 is only compatible with FD20 not with 21, or 22
>
> oVirt 3.6 is only compatible with FD20 not with 21 or 20
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi, upgrade from FC20 to FC22 has not been tested and you're welcome to
help testing it.
What I would suggest is:
- make an image of your existing engine (I suggest clonezilla for doing it)
- install ovirt-release36 from
http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release36.rpm
- fedup from fc20 to fc22 directly, without the fc21 step
- run rpmconf -a and update relevant config files (be sure to not just
overwrite them!)
- run postgresql-setup --upgrade
- run engine-setup

I suggest to update to fc22 directly because there aren't FC21 builds of
ovirt engine and the fedup process may not work as expected with missing
repos.

If the upgrade fails, you can restore the disk image created with
clonezilla and retry with a different procedure.

If you hit any issue or if you succeed let us know!

> --
> David Marzal Cánovas
> Servicio de Mecanización e Informática
> Asamblea Regional de Murcia