[ovirt-users] migrate to Hosted engine set up using ovirt node 3.6

Alastair Neil ajneil.tech at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 21:27:03 UTC 2015

On 11 November 2015 at 12:52, Simone Tiraboschi <stirabos at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 6:01 PM, Alastair Neil <ajneil.tech at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am in the process of upgrading my ovirt DC to 3.6.  I would like to
>> migrate to hosted-engine with gluster replica 3 storage in the process.
>> The engine has been upgraded and I have installed 3 of the VM hosts in one
>> cluster  using the ovirt-node iso.  I have three other VM hosts in a
>> separate cluster to upgrade.
>>
>> I see an option to configure the hosted engine through the node admin
>> login tui, however I have not found any up to date instructions on how to
>> perform a migration to hosted using the ovirt-node.  I thought I'd ask a
>> few questions before I started:
>>
>> Should I connect and approve the node in the current engine prior to
>> configuring the hosted engine?
>> Does the node hosted-engine-setup provide a pause to restore the engine
>> db from the external engine? Or even better a facility to upload the
>> database backup file?
>>

> http://www.ovirt.org/Migrate_to_Hosted_Engine

Yes I am familiar with these instructions, however they are quite old and
have not been updated to include any information about how to perform this
in the case of using the 3.6 ovirt-node image as the host and the
ovirt-live installation image as the VM installation.

> hosted-engine-setup has to be run on the host.
> engine-setup has to be run on the engine VM.
> The DB restore from you previous setup has to be performed on the engine
> VM. If you are using the ready to use oVirt engine appliance and you choose
> to automatically execute engine-setup on your VM it will not wait for you
> to replace the engine DB so you have just to avoid that and manually
> execute engine-setup on the engine VM.

This is the crux: if the hosted-engine-setup using the live image allows
you to pause the setup and do a manual engine-setup. Its seems like it is
probably a quite common thing for people to want to do so I thought I'd
check.  If it has not been attempted and/or documented then I will try it.