[ovirt-users] Moving a Hosted Engine from Fedora 20 to CentOS 7

John Florian jflorian at doubledog.org
Sat Nov 14 18:23:04 UTC 2015

I'm getting better results now but still no success.  My attempts at
rebuilding my host "ophelia" had a number of issues related to
networking which was no surprise given that ovirtmgmt wasn't present.  I
believe this all stemmed from the initial conditions of the host and
especially the ifcfg files for the two NICs.  I had started with a clean
install and did minimal changes but it was seeing too many weird issues
to try and sort out at once.  Plus once vdsm starts doing its thing
managing these it's hard to say from where exactly I was starting.
So..... time for a fresh slate.  Here are those results:

First off, the mail Subject is wholly wrong anymore since I ran into
really difficult sounding problems on that path.  There's no CentOS
involved right now, just Fedora.  I don't know which is worse, changing
the subject or leaving it wrong or prolonging a mail thread.  Anyway, my
current situation is:

GOOD: oVirt 3.5.4 hosted engine on enceladus-f20 atop F20
GOOD: oVirt 3.5.4 host on oberon (also F20)
PROBLEMS: attempting oVirt 3.6 on ophelia atop F22

The battle plan for oVirt 3.6 on ophelia:

  * installed F22 using minimal install option
  * initial networking setup immediately after installing F22:

[root at ophelia ~]# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN
group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: enp6s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel
state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 00:1f:d0:dc:27:af brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enp4s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel
state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 68:05:ca:2f:f4:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 172.16.7.7/24 brd 172.16.7.255 scope global enp4s0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 fe80::6a05:caff:fe2f:f47c/64 scope link
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
4: bond0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,MASTER> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
group default
    link/ether 3a:67:d6:86:11:71 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

[root at ophelia ~]# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
search doubledog.org
nameserver 172.16.7.6
nameserver 172.16.7.154

  * dnf update
  * edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config to add necessary KexAlgorithms
  * systemctl restart sshd
  * setenforce permissive so that vdsm can start
      o The Release Notes mention this is necessary for gluster.  I'm
        only doing ISCSI but I must use permissive otherwise vdsm will
        not start later.  This lesson already learned so applied here to
        keep the logs void of any confusion from this aspect.
  * dnf install http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release36.rpm
  * dnf install ovirt-hosted-engine-setup
  * hosted-engine --deploy

I'm still seeing the SQL error (in the engine log) that I mentioned in
prior mails, though none of the networking issues I had on earlier
attempts.  Thus I believe I've made some progress but need advice on
what to dig into next for y'all.

Rather than pasting parts of the logs here, I've just dropped them in
their entirety where they should be easily retrievable here:
http://www.doubledog.org/john/ovirt-3.6-install-logs/attempt-10/

If additional logs are needed, please let me know.

Thanks for all the help with this!!!

--
John Florian