[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6 and gluster volumes

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Mon Nov 16 16:48:59 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Richard Neuboeck <hawk at tbi.univie.ac.at>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble installing oVirt 3.6 hosted engine with gluster.
>
> First of here are the questions that arose:
> Do I need separate gluster volumes for the hosted engine and the
> other VMs?

Yes, you need two distinct storage domains.

> If yes I'm guessing the same optimizations apply to the /engine
> volume as to the other volume as described in
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Self_Hosted_Engine_Gluster_Support

Absolutely.

> Post installation the storage tab is completely empty though I did
> create an NFS ISO domain during the hosted-engine --deploy process.
> Is that normal behavior?
>
> Should the engine gluster volume be manually imported ('Import
> Domain') or is this volume never visible?

It should be automatically imported but we have a know open bug on that:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1269768

> If I have a separate VM volume I guess I need to create a 'New
> Domain'. If I do that the over lay window in the UI that allows me
> to enter the glusterfs connection details clears. I see an animated
> circle in the middle but nothing happens. There is no entry in the
> engine log or the in any host log. If I wait long enough the UI
> terminates the session and I'm at the login again.

This one seams a new issue.
Can you please attach VDSM from your host?

> Last question (for now, I promise): The engine VM is not visible in
> the UI. Obviously it's running or otherwise there would be no UI.
> From a variety of sources I get the impression that this shouldn't
> be but I'm not sure why the engine VM is not showing itself.

This is a side effect of the Hosted Engine Storage Domain Auto import bug:
the engine has to import the hosted-engine storage domain to show the
engine VM.