[ovirt-users] several ovirt questions - CPU allocation, and use threads as CPU

Jason Keltz jason.keltz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 03:52:35 UTC 2015

Hi.

When I go to the "Clusters" in ovirt engine, I can see the total number
of VMs in the cluster.   If I open up "Hosts", I can see how many VMs
are running on each host.  I can see the memory consumption as well.
How do I go about seeing how many CPUs I've allocated across all the VMs
on a host?  What happens if I allocate more cores than what I actually
have? If shared CPUs are possible, can I specify VMs that are allowed to
shared CPUs versus VMs that reqiure dedicated CPUs?  Finally, I
presently have "Use Threads as CPUs" off.  I don't remember if that was
the default, or whether I selected that option during installation.  Is
there any disadvantage to turning it on?  I realize that those other
cores aren't "real" cores - they're the hyper-threading course,  but
it's not clear how ovirt would handle those cores.  If I specify say, a
dual CPU system, would that system show up as 4 cores (2 real cores and
2 hyper-threaded cores) ?

Thanks for any help..

Jason.