[ovirt-users] several ovirt questions - CPU allocation, and use threads as CPU

Martin Sivak msivak at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 11:00:32 UTC 2015

Hi Jason,

> How do I go about seeing how many CPUs I've allocated across all the VMs on a host?
> If shared CPUs are possible, can I specify VMs that are allowed to shared CPUs versus
>  VMs that reqiure dedicated CPUs?

Unfortunately the UI is lacking in this area. We do not currently have
any overview page.

Also we do not currently support dedicated CPU to VM mapping. You can
use CPU pinning to select the CPUs that should be used, but the CPU
can be used for any other VM too (so it is a limitation for the VM
assignment, not for the CPU assignment).

There might be a workaround for this using the isolcpus
(http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/re46.html)
kernel boot option and then puting VMs on those CPUs using pinning.
But we have never tested this.

> What happens if I allocate more cores than what I actually have?

We won't allow your VM to start if it requires more cores than
physically available on the destination host.

> If I specify say, a dual CPU system, would that system show up as 4 cores (2 real cores and 2 hyper-threaded cores)

CPU pinning and core reporting always use thread IDs so it makes no
difference there.

But the scheduling takes this option into account when computing the
load or when checking if enough cores are available (useful with
relation to your previous question).

Would you care to open a bug about the CPU pinning overview? It might
be a nice RFE considering we have something similar for NUMA already.

Best regards

Martin Sivak
SLA / oVirt