[ovirt-users] VM physical export

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Tue Nov 17 15:24:47 UTC 2015

Hello,

[3.5 here]

I'd like to export a VM and its 2 big disks toward an external datacenter.

Just for fun, I tried with the usual way : export to NFS, detach, attach
from remote, import.
But the disk are way too huge and our line is thin.

The site is remote but the other town is not that far, so physically
bring the data (external hard drive) is an option.

I don't know if I can export to .ova or .ovf but I don't remind having
seen that in oVirt.
I know I can export to NFS and copy the whole NFS hierarchy to the hard
drive, then restore it inside the remote NFS export domain, then import.
But I don't know the exact needs of this hierarchy, and the remote NFS
already contains data I can not wipe.

I'm not in a hurry there, just having this issue and looking for the
best solution. Experimentation allowed.

--
Nicolas ECARNOT