[ovirt-users] several ovirt questions - CPU allocation, and use threads as CPU

Jason Keltz jas at cse.yorku.ca
Thu Nov 19 15:00:01 UTC 2015

On 11/19/2015 06:00 AM, Martin Sivak wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
>> How do I go about seeing how many CPUs I've allocated across all the VMs on a host?
>> If shared CPUs are possible, can I specify VMs that are allowed to shared CPUs versus
>>   VMs that reqiure dedicated CPUs?
> Unfortunately the UI is lacking in this area. We do not currently have
> any overview page.
I will submit an RFE when I get a chance.

> Also we do not currently support dedicated CPU to VM mapping. You can
> use CPU pinning to select the CPUs that should be used, but the CPU
> can be used for any other VM too (so it is a limitation for the VM
> assignment, not for the CPU assignment).
>
> There might be a workaround for this using the isolcpus
> (http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/re46.html)
> kernel boot option and then puting VMs on those CPUs using pinning.
> But we have never tested this.
Ok.
>> What happens if I allocate more cores than what I actually have?
> We won't allow your VM to start if it requires more cores than
> physically available on the destination host.

Actually, I think I wasn't clear with my message.  If I have only 4
cores total, and I try to allocate 5 cores to one VM, I would expect the
VM wouldn't start.  What I want to understand is what happens when I try
to run 3 x 4 core VMs on a 4 core system.  By default, they would all
share the 4 cores?  oVirt would never tell me that I am out of capacity
as long as the VMs that I'm running are all under the total number of
cores in the system?

>> If I specify say, a dual CPU system, would that system show up as 4 cores (2 real cores and 2 hyper-threaded cores)
> CPU pinning and core reporting always use thread IDs so it makes no
> difference there.
>
> But the scheduling takes this option into account when computing the
> load or when checking if enough cores are available (useful with
> relation to your previous question).
You didn't mention whether I'm at an advantage to enable "Use Threads as
CPUs" or to leave it off?

> Would you care to open a bug about the CPU pinning overview? It might
> be a nice RFE considering we have something similar for NUMA already.
Sure!

Thanks!

Jason.