[ovirt-users] What is a data center with local storage?

Christophe TREFOIS christophe.trefois at uni.lu
Mon Nov 23 18:39:00 UTC 2015

Hi,

When creating a new data center, in oVirt 3.5 there is the options to have “local” or “shared” storage types.

Is there any resource out there that explains the difference between the two? The official doc does not really help there.

My current understanding is as follows:

In shared mode, I can create data domains that are shared between hosts in a same data center, eg NFS, iSCSI etc.
In lcoal mode, I can only create data domains locally, but I can “import” an existing iSCSI or Export domain to move VMs (with downtime) between data centers.

1. Is this correct or am I missing something here?
2. What would be the reason to go for a “local” storage type cluster?

Thank you very much for helping out a newcomer :)
Kind regards,

—
Christophe