[ovirt-users] ovirt-hosted-engine-setup and single machine install

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 08:39:59 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:05 AM, Roman Mohr <rmohr at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Johan,
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 9:39 PM, Johan Vermeulen <jameslast29 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> after configuring a first setup, based on the quick start guide, I'm now
>> looking
>> at the hosted-engine setup.
>> My question is: after I do the hosted-engine-setup, how do I setup vm's
>> on the same
>> machine that hosts the now-virtualized engine?
>>

> You can add this host like any other host. You will then also see the
> hosted engine VM as a special VM in the VMs tab of the web admin portal.
> Just make sure that your VM can reach the physical host.

Just an addition: your first host will be automatically added to your
engine so you don't have to do anything special on that.
hosted-engine on the other side, is using a dedicated storage domain for
the engine VM and you cannot use it for other VMs so you still need to add
a second storage domain for regular VMs.

Take care that loopback mounting NFS could lead to deadlocks:
 https://lwn.net/Articles/595652/
On a single host with the storage on the same host iSCSI seams more
reliable.