[ovirt-users] What is a data center with local storage?

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 09:11:14 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 7:39 PM, Christophe TREFOIS <
christophe.trefois at uni.lu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When creating a new data center, in oVirt 3.5 there is the options to have
> “local” or “shared” storage types.
>
> Is there any resource out there that explains the difference between the
> two? The official doc does not really help there.
>
> My current understanding is as follows:
>
> In shared mode, I can create data domains that are shared between hosts in
> a same data center, eg NFS, iSCSI etc.
> In lcoal mode, I can only create data domains locally, but I can “import”
> an existing iSCSI or Export domain to move VMs (with downtime) between data
> centers.
>

> 1. Is this correct or am I missing something here?

local means that the storage domain is local to a single host.
Using a local storage domain you loose different capabilities.

> 2. What would be the reason to go for a “local” storage type cluster?

It's just if you don't have or for any reason (single host, demo mode...)
you don't any any shared storage technologies.
It was mainly used in all-in-one mode.