[ovirt-users] Problem with Adding Pre-Configured Domain

Ivan Bulatovic combuster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 19:32:43 UTC 2015

Hi Roger,

you can not import the snapshot because you already have an active
storage domain that contains the same (meta)data. Try detaching the
storage domain that you take snapshots from, and remove it (do not
select to wipe the data), and then try to import the snapshot. You will
see a warning that the domain is already registered within ovirt engine
and you can force the import to continue. After that, you should see the
domain registered in ovirt webadmin. Before detaching the domain, make
sure you have another domain active so it can become a master domain,
and create exports of the VM's that are part of that domain just in case.

I had the same problem while trying to import a replicated storage
domain, you can see that oVirt tries to import the domain, but it just
returns to import domain dialog. It actually mounts the domain for a few
seconds, then disconnects and removes the mount point under
/rhev/data-center/ and then it tries to unmount it and fails because
mount point doesn't exist anymore.

Mentioned it here recently:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-November/036027.html

Maybe there is a workaround for importing the clone/snap of the domain
while the source is still active (messing with the metadata), but I
haven't tried it so far (there are several implications that needs to be
taken into the account). However, I'm also interested if there is a way
to do such a thing, especially when you have two separate datacenters
registered within the same engine, and it would be great for us to be
able to import snaps/replicated storage domains and/or VM's that reside
on it while still having the original VM's active and running.

Something similar to the third RFE here (this is only for VM's):
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/ImportUnregisteredEntities#RFEs

In any case, I'll try this ASAP, always an interesting topic. Any
insights on this is highly appreciated.

Ivan