[ovirt-users] vdsm using 100% CPU, rapidly filling logs with _handle_event messages

Robert Story rstory at tislabs.com
Fri Nov 27 15:29:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:28:23 -0500 Robert wrote:
RS> On Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:35:17 +0100 Vinzenz wrote:

RS> VF> > Hi Dan,
RS> VF> >
RS> VF> > Thanks for the pointers. If it comes up again, I'll try this
RS> VF> > patch and report back on the bug...
RS> VF> >
RS> VF> Out of curiosity, did you happen again to see that happening again?
RS>
RS> No, I have not.

So naturally it shows up again during a holiday. I came in today to find 1
of my 5 nodes (the SPM and host where hosted engine is running) with two
vdsmd threads chewing up 90-100% of the CPU. I applied the patch from above
and restarted vdsmd. This resulted in another node being selected as the
SPM, and within about 15 minutes, that node had the same issue. Applied the
patch to the new node, and restarted vdsmd, and the SPM went back to the
previous (now patched) node. Hopefully things will stay stable.

I've attached snippets of the logs from the SPM when the problem started,
along with the server/engine log snippets from the hosted engine around the
same time..

Robert

--
Senior Software Engineer @ Parsons