[ovirt-users] upgrade path from Ovirt 3.5x to 3.6x

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 11:32:49 UTC 2015

On 8 Oct 2015, at 17:48, Andrea Ghelardi wrote:

> Hallo,
> I needed a quick confirmation on this subject.
>
> Our environment is Ovirt 3.511 (yes, I’ll upgrade soon, I know) running on a Centos 6.6 hosted engine VM on a cluster of Centos 6.6 physical servers.
>
> Since Ovirt 3.6x will be compatible with Centos 7 hypervisor only, how I’m supposed to upgrade hosted engine, VM and HOSTs?
>
> i.e. readme tells us the well known procedure (put hosted eng in maintenance, upgrade, etc) but I will eventually end in a scenario where my hosted engine 3.6 will run on centos 7 VM running (on) a lot of centos 6.6 servers...
>
> Please tell me I have not to create a totally different datacenter and export -> import all VMs…

nono, the upgrade is live and all your VMs can keep humming. But there are manual steps involved:

Simone can probably update about Hosted Engine which would be somewhat special, but at least for regular VMs you can currently use:
1) create a new cluster with same settings as your existing cluster
2) remove one host from the old cluster (the one to be upgraded/reinstalled to EL7). While moving the host to maintenance your VMs will be migrated to other EL6 hosts in that cluster (make sure you have enough capacity to do that beforehand, of course:)
3) upgrade/reinstall the host with EL7. If youdon't have anything custom on the host reinstallation might be the best option
4) add it to the new cluster, installing/deploying it via UI, then it should come up - this is your EL7-based cluster now
5) manually migrate (Migrate To button) some of your VMs from the old cluster to the new one (there's an advanced section in the dialog, allowing you cross-cluster migrations
6) repeat until all your hosts and VMs are on EL7-based cluster, then you can decommission it, and perhaps rename the cluster back to its original name

Thanks,
michal