[ovirt-users] oVirt Engine redundant ?

Barak Korren bkorren at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 07:09:04 UTC 2015

On 12 October 2015 at 09:52, Nico <gluster at distran.org> wrote:
> Le 2015-10-12 05:37, Julian De Marchi a écrit :
>

> The oVirt hosted-engine will do what you want. Have a read of the below.
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/Migrate_to_Hosted_Engine
>
> --julian
>

> Thanks for your quick reply.
>
> I m going to follow the step described in this page.
>
> The first action is to run
>
> # hosted-engine --deploy
>
> INFO  ] Stage: Initializing
>
>           Continuing will configure this host for serving as hypervisor and
> create a VM where oVirt Engine will be installed afterwards.
>
>           Are you sure you want to continue? (Yes, No)[Yes]:
>
> In my case; i’ve already an existing install on this node (AllinOne); will
> it be ok ? nothing will be break or overriden ?.

What that procedure describes is backing up an existing engine,
installing a new one and then restoring the backed up data into it.
This was probably written to describe migration from a stand-alone
engine host, not an AllInOne.
Theoretically this should work for your setup, but I am not sure if
the new hosted engine will be able to properly use the AllInOne node
as a hypervisor (it would probably depend on the copied configuration
containing enough details to allow the engine to connect to it over
the network. you will probably at the very last have to shut down the
existing engine before starting up the hosted engine)
I would suggest doing as many backups as you can before starting, and
performing the H.E. setup on a host that wasn't used by the existing
engine, that way if it fails you can just shut it down and bring your
old engine back up.