[ovirt-users] CEPH rbd support in EL7 libvirt

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 12 08:05:00 UTC 2015

On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was directed here by Sandro with the question in the $subject.
> As I could not find anything conclusive in either bugzilla or the 7.2 release notes, can someone clarify this for me?
> At this point it's apparently as easy as rebuilding the libvirt src.rpm with "with_storage_rbd 1".[1]
>
> I see users migrating from CentOS to Ubuntu because this is missing, it's not even in technology preview.
> Kind of odd RH undermining their own projects in this way.
>
> [1] - http://blog.widodh.nl/2015/04/rebuilding-libvirt-under-centos-7-1-with-rbd-storage-pool-support/

RHEL 7.1 supports rbd out of the box; so should be current CentOS 7.

We do not use libvirt storage pool for ovirt, so I don't think you
need to build anything.

Also, we do not access rbd volumes via libvirt. When we run vms using
rbd: volumes, libvirt
pass the volume url to qemu, and qemu access the volume. So we may not
need any rbd
support in libvirt itself.

Did you try to use ceph with ovirt 3.6 on CentOS?

Nir