[ovirt-users] Can´t use a VM Network VLAN, because the Virtual Machines inside can't reach the Gateway

Ido Barkan ibarkan at redhat.com
Tue Oct 13 07:43:02 UTC 2015

Julian,
Lets try a more systematic approach (similar to what Donny suggests):

Please disable your arp script, and reproduce the situation where your vm
cannot connect to the outside.
It will be also a good idea to have the failing machine be the only powered
on machine connected to the network (bridge).

* from the machine os run a ping to a pingable destination outside of your
network (8.8.8.8?)
* run tcpdump on the hypervisor on several interfaces:
  * the vm tap device (vnet0? vnet1?)
  * the vm network bridge device (hosting?), where the tap device is
attached to. This should be visible via brctl.
  * the vlan device underneath the bridge (this one should have a name like
'eno1.50' where eno1 is the physical nic and 50 is the vlan tag)
  * the physical device (the ethernet nic)

The tcpdump command requires root privileges and looks like this: "sudo
tcpdump -n -i <device_name> icmp or arp"

What I assume we will see are only icmp requests (pings) and no icmp
replies (pongs). There might be also be only arp requests and
no arp replies.
What I am interested at is the arp broadcasts, as the vm should broadcast
an arp request (who-is <my_gateway_ip>).
My first guess is that is no response or there is one but the vm cannot
hear it. This is why I used the arp filter in the tcpdump command.

This should shed some light on where the problem is and in which layer.
find out where the traffic is not forwarded.

Also, when you locate the point of failure, try and wait for the traffic to
'suddenly work' as you said and then figure out what was changed.

We would love to see the dumps and coontinue to help.

Thanks,
Ido

Thanks,
Ido Barkan