[ovirt-users] Moving a Hosted Engine from Fedora 20 to CentOS 7

John Florian jflorian at doubledog.org
Thu Oct 29 13:44:21 UTC 2015

On 10/29/2015 05:49 AM, Roy Golan wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Roy Golan <rgolan at redhat.com
> <mailto:rgolan at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:23 PM, John Florian
>     <jflorian at doubledog.org <mailto:jflorian at doubledog.org>> wrote:
>
>         Can somebody please point me to documentation or describe how
>         I should
>         proceed with this task?  I see lots of pages for moving from a
>         physical
>         engine to a VM and vice-versa but am having no luck finding
>         how to go
>         about building a new HE to obsolete my original.
>

>     using ovirt-hosted-engine-setup you can choose a setup without
>     using the appliance. So you can scratch install your VM
>

> BTW the ovirt-engine-appliacnce we build [1] is Centos based. Seems
> like perfect candidate.
>
> #install the appliance
> yum install ovirt-engine-appliance
>
> #and then run the setup
> ovirt-hosted-engine-setup
>
> choose "disk" in this stage
> Please specify the device to boot the VM from (cdrom, disk, pxe) [cdrom]: disk
>
> it will suggest the downloaded appliance automatically
> See this wiki for reference
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/HEApplianceFlow#Testing

Neat!  I was unaware of the HEA so I'm happy to learn of this offering.
However, my concern is focused more on a procedure that I presently can
only imagine looking something akin to:

1. hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=global
2. hosted-engine --vm-poweroff
3. ovirt-hosted-engine-setup ...
4. use the exact same host name and IP address
5. hosted-engine --vm-start
6. hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=none

Or perhaps:

1. create a new guest
2. inside run foo to deploy the HE packages
3. configure it be aware of existing HE
4. run bar manually or wait for the two HE's to sync their state, sort
of like a RAID mirror
5. power off the original HE guest and allow the new one to be the sole
provider going forward

My confusion may simply stem from having forgot much of the process when
I deployed my HE back in January this year.  But I thought it best to
get started on the right foot for the simplest and/or best practice.

--
John Florian