[ovirt-users] Host In Peril?

Duckworth, Douglas C duckd at tulane.edu
Thu Oct 29 22:04:06 UTC 2015

Magnanimous Ladies and Gentlemen

Due to an overly aggressive n00b rush, an ungraceful shutdown of our
Hosted Engine ensued.

We were able to restore the Hosted Engine via RTFM.

However the RHEL Host 6.6, upon which the Hosted Engine's integrity
depends, seems to have lost its network scripts. Forgive me for
inquiring about a topic that's probably been discussed many times.

I restored the iSCSI and Management, Display, and VM VLAN's by
reconstructing the ifcfg scripts.  However we're not able to get vdsm
to restore what should exist.  So once RHEV-M returns the Host is of
course Non Operational.

On the Host we have net_persistence = unified set in vdsm.conf.

/var/run/vdsm/netconf/{nets,bonds} are empty.

Though /var/lib/vdsm/persistence/netconf/{nets,bonds} contains
wonderful JSON.

If files are copied from /var/run/vdsm/netconf/* to
/var/lib/vdsm/persistence/netconf/* then does this present a problem?

How does persistence work with a stateful RHEL Host?

I did not set up this Host so cannot vouch for its proper configuration.

We've concerned about letting RHEV-M reconfigure the network of this
Host since if we lose the iSCSI bond that would be bad for the
manager.  We do not have another Hosted Engine capable Host at this
time :)

If could you please assist I promise a cocktail or two the next time
you visit New Orleans.

Thanks
Doug

- --