[ovirt-users] strange iscsi issue

Demeter Tibor tdemeter at itsmart.hu
Mon Sep 7 20:26:51 UTC 2015

Hi All,

I have to create a test environment for testing purposes, because we need to testing our new 10gbe infrastructure.
One server that have a 10gbe nic - this is the vdsm host and ovirt portal.
One server that have a 10gbe nic - this is the storage.

Its connected to each other throught a dlink 10gbe switch.

Everything good and nice, the server can connect to storage, I can make and run VMs, but the storage performance from inside VM seems to be 1Gb/sec only.
I did try the iperf command for testing connections beetwen servers, and it was 9.40 GB/sec. I have try to use hdparm -tT /dev/mapper/iscsidevice and also it was 400-450 MB/sec. I've got same result on storage server.

So:

- hdparm test on local storage ~ 400 mb/sec
- hdparm test on ovirt node server through attached iscsi device ~ 400 Mb/sec
- hdparm test from inside vm on local virtual disk - 93-102 Mb /sec

The question is : Why?

ps. I Have only one ovirtmgmt device, so there are no other networks. The router is only 1gbe/sec, but i've tested and the traffic does not going through this.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Tibor