[ovirt-users] vdsm high mem usage

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 07:57:55 UTC 2015

On Sep 10, 2015, at 20:35 , Michael Kleinpaste <michael.kleinpaste at sharperlending.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> So I ran into that high mem usage thing. The problem I have with patching is that this is a live system so I can't do it mid day.  Can anybody tell me if it is possible to just restart the vdsm service or does the host have to be in "maintenance mode" before restarting it?  It is using gluster storage, if that makes a difference as well.

Hi,
you can restart vdsm without any effect on running VMs. Other than short interruption of communication between engine and host. It can cause a short CPU spike on startup, so do that with caution when you run tend or hundreds of VMs on a same overloaded host.
Obviously, while vdsm is not running, the system is a bit more vulnerable to failures, but as long as you don't do that in the middle of a migration or a power failure you're good:)

Thanks,
michal