[ovirt-users] Is a dedicated oVirt mgmt VLAN still needed for oVirt host nodes?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 20:28:51 UTC 2015

Il 15/Set/2015 05:10, <ccox at endlessnow.com> ha scritto:

> We have an oVirt environment that I inherited.  One is running 3.4.0 and
> one is running 3.5.0.
>
> Seem in both cases the prior administrator stated that a dedicated VLAN
> was necessary for oVirt mgmt.  That is, we could not run multiple tagged
> VLANs on a nic for a given oVirt host node.
>
> Does any of this make sense?  Is this true?  Is it still true for more
> contemporary versions of oVirt?
>
> My problem is that our nodes are blades and I only have two physical nics
> per blade.  In our network for redundancy we need to have the two nics
> have the same VLANs so that things failover ok.  Which means we have to
> share the oVirt mgmt network on the same wire.  That's the ideal.

Hy, My opinion:

ovirt-engine supports configuration of the ovirtmgmt as a non-vm network,
untagged. And on top of that nic (bond in your possible specific case)
configure all of the VLANs.
If you configure it as a vm network and want to put on the bond other
networks too, then you have to configure both the ovirtmgmt and the other
ones as tagged VLANs, you cannot mix tagged and untagged in this case.
Or at least it was so that I remained in terms of configuration.
Valid for 3.4 and 3.5, i think.
Can anyone of the net part maintainers confirm?

Other useful configurations, in term of bonding and related considerations
(mtu, ecc):
http://www.ovirt.org/Bonding_VLAN_Bridge
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/43070

Gianluca