[ovirt-users] Automatically migrate VM between hosts in the same cluster

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Sep 17 15:34:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Alex Crow <acrow at integrafin.co.uk> wrote:

> On 17/09/15 15:44, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
>
>> Hello Alex
>>
>> You can't live migrate on a host failure - as the host has gone down and
>>> all the
>>> running VMs on it have as well! It would require clairvoyance to enable
>>> live
>>> migration in that situation.
>>>
>> Is it possible to enable that? How?
>>

> No, it's physically impossible. If your host running VM "foo" has
> unexpectedly gone down (ie the PSU failed), VM "foo" has also gone down.
> Therefore it is not possible to live migrate the VM "foo" since it is not
> longer running!

- If the PSU failed, your UPS could alert you. If you have one...
- If the machine is going down in an ordinary flow, surely it can be done.

> Even if it was a network failure and the host was still up, how would you
> live migrate a VM from a host you can't even talk to?

It could be suspended to disk (local) - if the disk is available.
Then the decision if it is to be resumed from local disk or not (as it
might be HA'ed and is running elsewhere) need to be taken later, of course.

> The only way you could do it was if you somehow magically knew far enough
> in advance that the host was about to fail (!) and that gave enough time to
> migrate the machines off. But how would you ever know that "machine
> quux.bar.net is going to fail in 7 minutes"?

I completely agree there are situations in which you can't foresee the
failure.
But in many, you can. In those cases, it makes sense for the host to
self-initiate 'move to maintenance' mode. The policy of what to do when
'self-moving-to-maintenance-mode' could be pre-fetched from the engine.
Y.