[ovirt-users] P2V shrink disk

Federico Alberto Sayd fsayd at uncu.edu.ar
Thu Sep 17 18:28:49 UTC 2015

On 17/09/15 09:32, wodel youchi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if it's the right place to post this question.
>
> I tried to do a P2V operation of a Win2k3 server to ovirt 3.5
>

> the physical server is RAID5 of 3x146Go configured, about 290 Go
> usable space, but the server uses about 20Go only.
>
> I am wondering how to shrink the disk of the migrated physical
> machine, do I have to do it before using P2V tool?
>
> The same question for Linux servers.
>
> Thanks.

You can use clonezilla to migrate your physical server to an oVirt VM.
Prepare a vm with a disk of the same size and configure as thin
provision. Boot both servers with clonezilla and clone using the
network. Clonezilla only copies the used block in your source disk. Note
that you need to include some ide drivers in your source server before
clone in order your Windows server can boot up[1]

[1] https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314082