[ovirt-users] Automatically migrate VM between hosts in the same cluster

Luca Bertoncello L.Bertoncello at queo-group.com
Fri Sep 18 08:46:39 UTC 2015

> Really? in the main page you have also:
> High Availability Considerations
> A highly available host requires a power management device and its fencing parameters configured. In addition, for a virtual machine to be highly available when its host becomes non-operational, it needs to be started on
> another available host in the cluster. To enable the migration of highly available virtual machines:
> • Power management must be configured for the hosts running the highly available virtual machines.
> • The host running the highly available virtual machine must be part of a cluster which has other available hosts.
> • The destination host must be running.
> • The source and destination host must have access to the data domain on which the virtual machine resides.
> • The source and destination host must have access to the same virtual networks and VLANs.
> • There must be enough CPUs on the destination host that are not in use to support the virtual machine's requirements.
> • There must be enough RAM on the destination host that is not in use to support the virtual machine's requirements.
>
> What in particular is not clear and need better explanation?

Well, right now my problem is to understand how can I "simulate" this Power management. Maybe in the future, if we decide that oVirt  is the right solution for us, we will buy some Power management system (APC or similar).
But now, for the experiments, I can't ask my boss to pay >500€ for a device that maybe we will not use...

By the way: I find really funny, that I can't define an Cluster with automatically migration of the VM without Power management. OK, I know what it can happens if the host is not really dead, but at least to allow that, with warnings and so on, should be nice...

Regards

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Luca Bertoncello

--
Besuchen Sie unsere Webauftritte:

www.queo.biz		Agentur für Markenführung und Kommunikation
www.queoflow.com	IT-Consulting und Individualsoftwareentwicklung

Luca Bertoncello
Administrator
Telefon:	+49 351 21 30 38 0
Fax:		+49 351 21 30 38 99
E-Mail:	l.bertoncello at queo-group.com

queo GmbH
Tharandter Str. 13
01159 Dresden
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Dresden
Handelsregistereintrag: Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 22352
Geschäftsführer: Rüdiger Henke, André Pinkert
USt-IdNr.: DE234220077