[ovirt-users] VNC console behind NAT

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Sep 25 10:57:01 UTC 2015

On 25 Sep 2015, at 06:31, Alan Murrell wrote:

> On 24/09/15 12:47 AM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:
>>
>> btw, what's the reason for VNC? lack of SPICE client on a particular platform?
>
> One of my guests is running Zentyal.  For some reason the console does
> not display very well when using SPICE but with VNC it is fine.
>
> Zentyal is built on top of Ubuntu.  Oddly, if I install a guest VM with
> just the same version of Ubuntu that Zentyal is built on, SPICE works
> fine with that.
>
> Not sure what to make of that.

Strange
Supposing it is a problem with the driver, you can perhaps try the unaccelerated version of display (so it would effectively become similar to VNC performance-wise)
In 3.6 you can configure video card and protocol separately…by default QXL - the accelerated "video card"  allows SPICE and VNC, and "cirrus" - the legacy card allows VNC

you can try SPICE over cirrus…just need to allow that in osinfo config. There should be something like "os.other.devices.display.protocols.value = spice/qxl,vnc/cirrus,vnc/qxl", you can override that for all OSes or just your own. See [1]

Thanks,
michal

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/OS_info