[ovirt-users] Memory Optimization settings

Amador Pahim apahim at redhat.com
Wed Sep 30 11:55:54 UTC 2015

On 09/29/2015 06:14 PM, Groten, Ryan wrote:

> On a cluster I can configure Memory Optimization “for server loads”
> (150% overcommit) or “for desktop loads” (200% overcommit).
>
> This relates to memory page sharing right?  If so what’s the downside
> of just setting it as high as possible?

This is how much more memory you will use to create VMs. Using 150%, a
hypervisor with 10GB of RAM will run up to 15 x 1GB VMs or 10 x 1,5GB
VMs and so on. If it happens all VMs using all memory in the same time,
you have KSM working to deduplicate memory pages and, as a last
resource, enough swap to avoid the oom killer.

The best setting here depends on your workload. If you already know your
VMs will use all memory they have, so the less the better. If you want a
big number of VMs and they are not going to stress the memory that much,
you can play with the values and find what fits better for you.