[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6.4 / PXE guest boot issues

David LeVene David.LeVene at blackboard.com
Mon Apr 4 09:00:04 UTC 2016

Hey All,

I'm running into the same issue which is noted in this thread, but the workaround they used didn't seem to work for me. I only change the rom images on the 1 ovirt host, nothing else - but have since changed them back.

There's a few differences to the environment I setup as well and am looking for any pointers.

http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2015-March/031690.html

This is the config & a fresh build as of last week - so I'm using ovirt 3.6.4

1.       All 3 physical hosts were built from a vanilla foreman server which does everything (TFTP, DNS, DHCP, Puppet, and Puppet CA) - this is the same server I'm trying to use for the guests, so I know it works for bare metal hosts.

2.       Ovirt engine was installed using the rpm bundle/image (Cent OS7)

3.       3 Node ovirt setup very close to this guide -  http://blogs-ramesh.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/ovirt-and-gluster-hyperconvergence.html

4.       There is a VMFEX/SRIOV network setup in the oVirt config and this is what is being used to provision the guest VM's

When I try and boot a host via PXE (have tried e1000 etc, but leaving as VirtIO driver) it fails to get the DHCP address, I can see the broadcast traffic hitting the foreman server, and the foreman server replying with an IP - but it isn't getting to the guest, or the packets are getting corrupted. The UCS is correctly identifying and seeing the MAC address, so that looks good as well from the VMFEX side of things.

Tested the dhcp only component, so I grabbed an ISO and booted from a CD. The installer correctly got its DHCP address and proceed to install. Once the host was on-line it correctly got its IP via DHCP - So by this I've proven that a vm guest can correctly receive DHCP packets when using the VMFEX network.

Open to any further suggestions - as when using this and a foreman server/katello satellite pxe booting is kinda important!

Screenshot of iPXE boot version
[cid:image001.png at 01D18E9F.FE7AA5D0]

Cheers
David
This email and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of Blackboard that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, disclosure, copying, re-distribution or other use of any of this information is strictly prohibited. Please immediately notify the sender and delete this transmission if you received this email in error.