[ovirt-users] Ovirt VM to kvm image

Nathanaël Blanchet blanchet at abes.fr
Wed Apr 13 15:10:18 UTC 2016

On any host of the cluster, you will find the export domain mount point
under /rhev/data-center/mnt/MOUNT
Then, you can apply a succession of grep command to find the ids you
need form $MOUNT, for example

  * find the vm:
    ID=$(grep $VMNAME -r master/vms/ | awk -F "/" '{ print $3 }') //
    gives the vm id
  * find the disk id :
    DISK=grep 'fileRef="' master/vms/$ID | awk -F ' ' '{print $5}' | awk
    -F \" '{print $2}' // gives the disk id
  * Copy the image anywhere you want.
    rsync -av images/DISK mount_point:/$VMNAME.img

Note, you can do the same directly on any file system storage domain
based, but be careful that the vm is down before.
If you want to do the same with a block storage domain, you may use dd
instead of rsync.

blanchet at abes.fr