[ovirt-users] VM migrations via san replication?

At Work workingindustriously at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 18:32:35 UTC 2016

I have a question regarding migration of VMs.  It's my hope that someone
can tell me if my migration idea can work or if it is not possible

I want to migrate about 100-200 VMs from one oVirt deployment to a new
oVirt deployment.  Some of the VMs are over 3TB in size.  Exporting and
importing these via NFS would involve downtime and probably be a very
lengthy process.  I'm wondering if there's a way to get around this by
using san replication.

I have an equallogic san group currently in use by an oVirt
installation 3.4.0-1.el6.  I have a different equallogic group set up as
storage for a different oVirt installation on another network.  The new
oVirt installation is version 3.6.4.1-1.el7.centos.

My idea is to avoid the downtime and lengthy export/import process by
telling my current production san to do volume replication to the new san
that's been allocated for use as storage for our new oVirt installation.
Once replication is in sync, I'll have exact copies of the original iSCSI
volumes, VM's, metadata, etc.  I am hoping I can then break replication,
tell my new oVirt installation to log into the freshly-copied volumes, and
use the VMs that were previously in use on the other installation.

Due to the differences in oVirt versions and not knowing how oVirt
internally handles metadata, I am not sure if this is possible.  Can anyone
confirm if this will work or not?

Thank you all!