[ovirt-users] several questions about serial console

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Sun Apr 17 09:53:55 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr> wrote:

> Le 15/04/2016 17:27, Nathanaël Blanchet a écrit :
>
> Hi all,
>
> About serial console:
>
> how to get out of a selectionned vm where we are on the login prompt (why
> not backing up to the vm menu) rather than killing the ssh process or
> closing the terminal? Usual "^] " doesn't work there.
> according to
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html-single/Virtual_Machine_Management_Guide/index.html
>
> # ssh -t -p 2222 ovirt-vmconsole at MANAGER_IP --vm-name vm1
>
>         should allow to connect directly to a vm on its serial port, and it
> is very useful when there are a big number of vm. In reality, we get a SSH
> issue : "unknown option -- -"

Seems like a bug in the documentation. See also the README file:

/usr/share/doc/ovirt-vmconsole/README on your machine, or

https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-vmconsole.git;a=blob;f=README

> An other question is : Why the vm order is not alphabetic? it could simplify
> the search when too many vms are displayed. And a simple "sort -k2" command
> should do the stuff...

Please open an RFE for this. Thanks.

I think you can do that yourself, by editing:

/etc/ovirt-vmconsole/ovirt-vmconsole-proxy/conf.d/20-ovirt-vmconsole-proxy-helper.conf

> if we want to add 5 users with UserVmManager role on 150 vms and I can't use
> group for this stuff, this means I need to do this with an ovirt-shell
> script like :
> # for i in $(cat /tmp/ids.ovirt); do for j in $(cat /tmp/list_all);do
> ovirt-shell -E "add permission --parent-vm-name $j --user-id $i --role-name
> UserVmManager"; done; done
> and 5*150 API connections only because I can't add several user ids on the
> same "add permission" line ? It's doable, but not not very convinient and
> very long if I have many more users to add.
> Why can't we add permission by user-name and not user-id ?

Adding Francesco.

Thanks and best regards,
--
Didi