[ovirt-users] several questions about serial console

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 07:50:21 UTC 2016

> On 17 Apr 2016, at 11:53, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 7:18 PM, Nathanaël Blanchet <blanchet at abes.fr> wrote:
>>

>> Le 15/04/2016 17:27, Nathanaël Blanchet a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> About serial console:
>>
>> how to get out of a selectionned vm where we are on the login prompt (why
>> not backing up to the vm menu) rather than killing the ssh process or
>> closing the terminal? Usual "^] " doesn't work there.
>> according to
>> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Virtualization/3.6/html-single/Virtual_Machine_Management_Guide/index.html
>>
>> # ssh -t -p 2222 ovirt-vmconsole at MANAGER_IP --vm-name vm1
>>
>>        should allow to connect directly to a vm on its serial port, and it
>> is very useful when there are a big number of vm. In reality, we get a SSH
>> issue : "unknown option -- -"
>
> Seems like a bug in the documentation. See also the README file:
>
> /usr/share/doc/ovirt-vmconsole/README on your machine, or
>
> https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-vmconsole.git;a=blob;f=README
>

>> An other question is : Why the vm order is not alphabetic? it could simplify
>> the search when too many vms are displayed. And a simple "sort -k2" command
>> should do the stuff...
>
> Please open an RFE for this. Thanks.
>
> I think you can do that yourself, by editing:
>
> /etc/ovirt-vmconsole/ovirt-vmconsole-proxy/conf.d/20-ovirt-vmconsole-proxy-helper.conf
>

>> if we want to add 5 users with UserVmManager role on 150 vms and I can't use
>> group for this stuff, this means I need to do this with an ovirt-shell
>> script like :
>> # for i in $(cat /tmp/ids.ovirt); do for j in $(cat /tmp/list_all);do
>> ovirt-shell -E "add permission --parent-vm-name $j --user-id $i --role-name
>> UserVmManager"; done; done
>> and 5*150 API connections only because I can't add several user ids on the
>> same "add permission" line ? It's doable, but not not very convinient and
>> very long if I have many more users to add.
>> Why can't we add permission by user-name and not user-id ?

That’s a limitation/design of REST API
In the UI you can highlight multiple VMs and assign roles all in one go
Note you don’t have to use the UserVmManager role, it’s just one of the predefined ones. If you want your own, different, role you can always define a new one and add the serial console permission

Thanks,
michal