[ovirt-users] template mystery

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 19 07:38:56 UTC 2016

> On 18 Apr 2016, at 14:43, Campbell McLeay <campbell.mcleay at framestore.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Fred,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Possibly, but where would I check? I'm logged in to ovirt web GUI as
> the admin user - is there something that sets permissions on templates
> that I am not seeing perhaps?
>
> Regards,
>
> Campbell
>
> On 18 April 2016 at 13:27, Fred Rolland <frolland at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Cam,
>>
>> Could it be a permission issue ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 1:14 AM, Campbell McLeay
>> <campbell.mcleay at framestore.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got 4 VMs on a 3.6 cluster, and they are listed as based on a
>>> template called 'sl6-workstation', yet I cannot find this template
>>> anywhere listed in the templates tab or tree. When I go to create a
>>> new VM, it gives me the option in the template section to use:
>>>
>>> sl6-workstation(1)
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> sl6-workstation(latest)

they are the same, until you start creating template subversions of that base sl6-workstation one. It makes sense only for stateless pool VMs to use (latest) version, as it keeps moving with the template’s updates then.

>>> I'm not sure what the difference between these two are, but I'm
>>> curious why it doesn't give me the option of not to use a template. It
>>> will even be the only option if I select FreeBSD or some other non-sl6
>>> OS.

do you mean there’s no Blank? Blank is a sort-of-a-template stub with defaults representing an “empty” VM

Thanks,
michal