[ovirt-users] oVirt upgrade

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 09:46:58 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Simone Tiraboschi <stirabos at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:39 PM, Budur Nagaraju <nbudoor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> HI
> >>
> >> How to upgrade oVirt3.5 to 4 ? am using centos6.7.
> >
> > First upgrade or reinstall your hosts with el7.
> > oVirt 3.6+ does not provide packages for el6. el6 hosts will
> > still work, but easiest to upgrade to el7 in 3.5.
> >
> > If you are using hosted-engine, you can follow [1].
> >
> > Then upgrade to 3.6 using regular docs [2].
> >
> > In 4.0, the engine is also el7 only. To upgrade, use engine-backup
> > to backup, then reinstall the machine with el7, then restore. I do
> > not think we have a special page for this, but you can follow the
> > doc text of [3], which is also copied in the 4.0 release notes [4].
> > Please review [5] for more information about engine backup and restore.
> > If you using hosted-engine, you can use the new upgrade tool to upgrade
> > the engine vm using the engine appliance. Not sure that's properly
> > documented either, see also [6]. Also note that this bug is for 4.0.2,
> > to be released soon.
>
> We have this:
> https://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/
> hosted-engine-migration-to-4-0/

But I have not yet understood, based on this thread in June and the related
bugzillas:
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-June/040587.html

what is the current situation in 4.0.1 and then 4.0.2 for the problem of
upgrading cluster level of the cluster where engine vm is running, in case
of Self Hosted Engine environments.
And in case not feasible yet, if there is any supported workaround doing
modifications at engine database level.

Can you give an update on this?
Thanks,
Gianluca