[ovirt-users] oVirt upgrade

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 14:02:41 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:38 PM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com>
wrote:

> > Ok, thanks for the update and clarifications.
> > From an operational point of view, what will change?
> > RIght now, in 4.0, if I select Default cluster and try to edit it and
> > upgrade its Compatibility Version to 4.0, it seems I don't get any
> message
> > in the gui, or at least I don't see it; it's something similar to when
> you
> > have sort of syntactical or incomplete error in your input) ...
> > and in engine.log I see
> > 2016-08-10 11:59:43,780 WARN
> > [org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.storage.pool.UpdateStoragePoolCommand]
> (default
> > task-11) [6f626a79] Validation of action 'UpdateStoragePool' failed for
> user
> > admin at internal-authz. Reasons:
> > VAR__TYPE__STORAGE__POOL,VAR__ACTION__UPDATE,$ClustersList
> > Default,ERROR_CANNOT_UPDATE_STORAGE_POOL_COMPATIBILITY_
> VERSION_BIGGER_THAN_CLUSTERS
> >
> > Instead in 4.0.2 it should allow me to do it so that I should see all
> > running VMs, inlcluded the hosted engine VM, marked with configuration
> > change needed symbol?
>
> That's what I understand too.
>
> > In this case for engine VM would it be sufficient to run something like
> thsi
> > to commit its modifications?
> >
> > hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=global
> > shutdown engine VM from os console
> > hosted-engine --set-maintenance --mode=none
> > verify engine VM is automatically started and without the flag about
> > configuration changes needed?
>
> Looks ok to me, didn't try this myself.
>
> Best,
> --
> Didi

Hello,
so I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.2 RC4 both engine and host.
I successfully verified the cluster upgrade workflow; see here the dialogue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvSVFFVzE5RTh5ZFU/view?usp=sharing

Then the virtual machines pane appears like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwoPbcrMv8mvTXFnTDFVSllPaVk/view?usp=sharing

Tried to start a previously powered off VM and it appears running without
mark.
Tried to shutdown and then powered on a VM with the configuration mark (c6
VM) and after correct start it doesn't have it

The only doubt is related to hosted engine VM... it doesn't show any mark
... does this mean that actually I don't need to shutdown and power on the
engine VM itself or is it an error that no configuration message icon is
shown aside of engine VM?

Gianluca