[ovirt-users] Dedicated NICs for gluster network

Sahina Bose sabose at redhat.com
Fri Aug 19 07:55:07 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Nicolas Ecarnot <nicolas at ecarnot.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm digging out this thread because I now had the time to work on this
> subject, and I'm stuck.
>
> This oVirt setup has a standalone engine, and 3 hosts.
> These 3 hosts are hypervisors and gluster nodes, each using one NIC for
> all the traffic, that is a very bad idea. (Well, it's working, but not
> recommended).
>
> I added 3 OTHER nodes, and so far, I only created the gluster setup and
> created a replica-3 volume.
> Each of these new nodes now have one NIC for management, one NIC for
> gluster, and other NICs for other things.
> Each NIC has an IP + DNS name in its dedicated VLAN : one for mgmt and one
> for gluster.
> The mgmt subnet is routed, though the gluster subnet is not.
> Every node can ping each other, either using the mgmt or the gluster
> subnets.
>
> The creation of the gluster subnet and volume went very well and seems to
> be perfect.
>
> Now, in the oVirt web gui, I'm trying to add these nodes as oVirt hosts.
> I'm using their mgmt DNS names, and I'm getting :
> "Error while executing action: Server xxxxxxxx is already part of another
> cluster."

Did you peer probe the gluster cluster prior to adding the nodes to oVirt?
What's the output of "gluster peer status"

If I understand correctly:
node1 - mgmt.ip.1 & gluster.ip.1
node2 - mgmt.ip.2 & gluster.ip.2
node3 - mgmt.ip.3 & gluster.ip.3

Did you create a network and assign "gluster" role to it in the cluster?
Were you able to add the first node to cluster, and got this error on
second node addition ?
>From the error, it looks like oVirt does not understand the peer list
returned from gluster is a match with node being added.
Please provide the log snippet of the failure (from engine.log as well as
vdsm.log on node)

> I found no idea when googling, except something related to gluster (you
> bet!), telling this may be related to the fact that there is already a
> volume, managed with a different name.
>
> Obviously, using a different name and IP is what I needed!
> I used "transport.socket.bind-address" to make sure the gluster traffic
> will only use the dedicated NICs.
>

> Well, I also tried to created a storage domain relying on the freshly
> created gluster volume, but as this subnet is not routed, it is not
> reachable from the manager nor the existing SPM.

The existing SPM - isn't it one of the the 3 new nodes being added? Or are
you adding the 3 nodes to your existing cluster? If so, I suggest you try
adding this to a new cluster