[ovirt-users] Ovirt-Engine HA

Scott romracer at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 17:11:39 UTC 2016

Hi Sandvik,

I believe this ultimately is what the self hosted engine is planned to
solve. It's up to you as to whether you feel comfortable with that idea
currently.

Outside of that, I would point you to the Red Hat Cluster Suite in a
RHEV/RHEL environment. The high availability component of that is based on
Linux-HA but I have only used Red Hat's implementation.

Lastly, the poor man's solution if this isn't critical infrastructure would
be a hot standby server. Keep the packages in sync between the two however
you feel appropriate. Run engine-backup as frequently as needed and copy it
to the second server. Have your engine address as a secondary address with
appropriate DNS and move it between them in a fail over (or use a CNAME).
Restore the backup in a fail over and run engine-setup. I think you get the
idea.

Personally I use hosted engine in all but my main production cluster. That
one will use it once I've upgraded those hosts to RHEL 7.

Hope that helps.

Scott