[ovirt-users] how to debug no audio in guest?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 23:58:03 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Jakub Niedermertl <jniederm at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Gianluca,
>>
>> QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none is most probably the problem. Libvirt is supposed to
>> set "QEMU_AUDIO_DRV" to "spice" for VMs with graphics. Please make sure
>> that the "Optimize for" attribute is set to "Desktop" (in Edit VM dialog)
>> and try to shutdown and start the VM again. If the QEMU process will still
>> have QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none set, you can try to set the variable in
>> /etc/sysconfig/libvirtd by adding line "QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice" and restart
>> the libvirtd service.
>>
>> Jakub

[snip]

> Apparently all is the same in qemu-kvm command lines, comparing c6 with c7
> one, but I don't understand who drives instead the QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=XXX in
> log file that is different between the two guests (none vs spice) and btw
> also in f24 it is spice:

[snip]

Understood!
Actually CentOS 6 guest graphics protocol was configured as "SPICE + VNC"
and this was the reason of "QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none"
Changing it to "SPICE", now I have "QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=spice" in guest logfile
and also test speakers working inside guest.

Is this expected? I thought that the "+" would have given an aggregate of
functionalities, not a limitation... because initialy I wanted to test both
spice and vnc access...
If this is the case, probably a note or tool-tip could be useful for the
final user because it is not so immediate to correlate video with audio...

Gianluca