[ovirt-users] Software RAID installation fails

Fabian Deutsch fdeutsch at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 14:27:55 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Brian Moyer <bdm310 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fabian,
>
> There's no way for one to stick with auto-partitioning when using
> software RAID. Your question did, however, lead me to question if I
> had ever gone through the "I will configure partitioning" path with
> just the default generated mount points. I had not, and it would
> appear to not be a problem with RAID, but a problem with any manual
> partitioning. I'm now very surprised that I cannot find anyone else
> having this issue.

Yes, true that you need to do manual partitioning when choosing to use a RAID.

For manual partitioning there are a few constraints which we did not
document yet - patches are welcome!

The constraints are:

- Use thin LVM
- /boot on a separate partition
- /var on a separate LV
- / on a thin LV

This should allow you to perform the installation - If I do not miss anything

- fabian

> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Fabian Deutsch <fdeutsch at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hey Brian,
>>
>> did you stick to use auto-partitioning when choosing the RAID setup?
>>
>> - fabian
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Brian Moyer <bdm310 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> When I attempt to install oVirt Node (newest ISO;
>>> ovirt-node-ng-installer-ovirt-4.0-2016062412.iso), the installer fails
>>> at the very end with the following error if any software RAIDs are
>>> defined in storage options.
>>>
>>> There was an error running the kickstart script at line 7 . This is a fatal
>>> error and installation will be aborted. The details of this error are:
>>> [INFO] Trying to create a manageable base from '/'
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
>>> "__ main __", fname, loader, pkg_name)
>>> File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
>>> exec code in run_globals
>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/__main__.py", line 42,
>>> in <module>
>>> CliApplication()
>>> File "/usr/lib/ python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/__init__.py", line
>>> 80, in CliApplication
>>> app.hooks.emit("post -arg -parse", args)
>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/hooks.py", line 120, in emit
>>> cb(self.context, •args)
>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/plugins/core.py", line
>>> 167, in post_argparse
>>> app.imgbase.init_layout_from(args.source, init_nvr)
>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/imgbase.py", line 230,
>>> in init_layout_from
>>> self.init_tags_ on(existing_lv)
>>> File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/imgbased/imgbase.py", line 217,
>>> in init_tags_on
>>> pool.addtag(self.thinpool_tag)
>>> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'addtag'
>>>
>>> This occurs with standard RAID volumes, with an LVM volume defined on
>>> top of RAID, and any combination thereof. When the installer is allowed
>>> to pick it's own storage scheme, it works fine. All of my testing has
>>> been done on blank physical disks or newly created virtual disks. The
>>> anaconda and storage logs don't appear to be very useful.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else come across this? Thoughts on workarounds or where I
>>> should be looking next to track down a solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brian